Friday, February 17, 2012

Feeling like home...


I was so excited in the middle of the night it poured for about 5 minutes, all I could think about was more water in the rain barrel, halleluhia!  But anyway I paid the boda driver 2000 shilling, $1 for 4 jerrycans so I’m actually doing quite fine.  My cute 18 year old house girl who goes to University on the weekends, Daphine has been a great help.  Since I have been alone this week, she helps M-F mornings.  She cooks fresh meals and brings me fresh lemon grass for tea, then we chop up fresh ginger, mmmm the tea is sooo nice!  We even mopped the floor today and did some laundry yesterday, though I’m pretty sure the soap wasn’t rinsed out…   

My runs this week have been really nice.  The people are getting used to me for sure now.  Do you remember the blog about the college guy who ran half the way with me? His family now greets me by my pet name Akiiki, by hollering from their house as I pass by!  So funny.  Then I am recognizing some of the old ladies always walking on the road or in front of their houses. And there is an old man who always thanks me, “Webale!” as I pass.  Then I tell him, “Webale nkuncima!” which means, thanks you for thanking, or thank you for appreciating.  I find myself with a permanent smile as I run. Even with the dust it makes it so much more enjoyable, adding to the fact that the weather is still perfect here so all the runs are enjoyable, minus the dust which tends to stick in the air even longer when it rains or is misty in the morning.  I have a plan to run with my camera one of these days to show you all what I’m experiencing in pictures.

Happy Friday!  This weekend I was invited to spend in Fort Portal on a sleepover/business meeting with Michelle of the UNITE program – NC ZOO. They work in Bigodi, on the other side of Kibale NP, and our Conservation Education Program, previously known as Kasiisi Wildlife Clubs, received a 3 year grant to work with UNITE on making conservation films for children about Great Apes, specifically chimpanzees and gorillas.  We have a lot to dicsuss!
Next weekend I am invited to kitty-sit in Kampala in a beautiful house near where Dom and I used to stay.  I will have a free place to stay and a hot shower while visiting all my friends and running errands for the project =)  Uganda is starting to really feel like my home now!  This morning I planted 4 rare tree seeds in a paint can that I just finished, while painting the outdoor kitchen shelves and mesh cabinet.  And I finally started to really try to get rid of these rats last night, who ate through 5 pieces of produce!!!! Grrrrr. Pictures next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment