Sunday, May 15, 2011

Feeling "Welcome"

Naomi's 2nd birthday, accompanied by Eva, on left.
I have headed back to Uganda, but due to scheduling issues, Dominic will not be arriving until later...

To really feel “welcome” in a new place makes all the difference in the world.  Traveling to Uganda alone is not difficult in itself, but knowing that one will be welcomed once off the plane keeps the travel anxiety low, and is a blessing to know I would be taken care of.  I have a surrogate family in Uganda, thanks to my significant other.  Dominic has a steady job with infrastructure in an African country.  But it is the people who work with him, locals and other ex-pats that are the bread and butter to our experience. And for that, I am (and we are) grateful.

For instance, organizing my ride from the airport, instead of a random taxi, I received a ride from a good friend, who I was able to catch up with during the drive, and who knew exactly where I would be staying. I didn’t have to feel stressed to exchange money at the airport for taxi payment, but could pay my friend back the next day when I visited the bank’s ATM (no exchange rate).

I am staying at another friend’s house, who is like a surrogate mother.  She takes me in and gives me my own room, let’s me rummage through the fridge, and take her dog out. I even have my own closet.  Then I visit Dominic’s office, and everyone welcomes me with open arms, and they let me know, “if you need anything call me” and give me their direct line.  Being invited to lunch, birthday parties, dinner and dancing, church and Sunday BBQs are all small, yet big, ways that my “family” makes me feel welcome, and loved in a new place.  They have helped me to build my personal infrastructure, which is incredibly important to maintain one’s sanity in a new place, especially in a developing country (like showing me where to buy internet!).

Today is a great example of how wonderful everyone is.  I started my day car shopping with a good friend from the office who is Ugandan. He spent 2 hours showing me the ropes at his favorite car shopping lot.  He made all the phone calls to the salesmen who showed us all the cars we needed to see. The day ended with a 2 year-old birthday party for Naomi in a beautiful back yard filled with friends and family. Everyone at the office was invited, including ex-pats and locals, plus all their kids.  It was a great time with homemade cake and meat and veggie skewers, and even a body paint artist who painted fun cat faces and flowers on the kids.  It was so nice to get to know office mates who I have only exchanged greetings to during their busy day.

Luckily I brought my camera to the birthday party, because it turns out everyone needed a new Face Book profile picture! (half kidding) Or an updated picture of their family – all the children are adorable by the way!  I will make a CD of all the pictures and drop it off at the office.   I try to do my part by bringing gifts and doing favors, and being a good friend and “family” member too, but I can never repay in a million thank yous or gifts how they have all made me feel welcomed and loved.

Kate, Naomi and Lendel. Thanks for a great party!

Tasha, Amy, Olive and Ella

Herbert practicing his grandaddy skills.

Herbert and JC

Jonna, who left Uganda yesterday for different pastures is sorely missed!

A Million Thank Yous.
Love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment